Here we go again. First day of school. This year… Grade 1.
Back to school and back to work.
Last year, kindergarten was one thing – a nice transition from preschool. And even then, I still felt the jab in my gut. Now it’s officially a “grade”, and on the days leading up to it, I was bracing myself for a full blown meltdown.
Not her. Me.
However, by the time September rolled around I was shockingly excited for school to start. Not because I didn’t love spending every waking moment with my little girl, who is growing up way to quickly. But because this was a tough summer. I couldn’t wait for it to be over.
Without boring you with all the details – I’ll give you with a short list of why summer (in particular, this summer) was/is my least favorite season, and why Fall is where it’s at:
- I can’t stand wasps. And there are a gazillion of them on the island when the summer flowers are in full bloom, and the picnics are in full swing. I really could live without those bug(ger)s. #sorrynotsorry
- Sweat isn’t cute. So hard to keep your face on when half of it is melting off. So I spent the summer a lot more sans makeup than usual. Then again, it was freeing keeping things au naturale.
- I do a full blown song and dance for the Smallie, and my guilt is at an all time high if she’s not outside from the second she’s awake until the millisecond she’s in zzz land.
- I got some not so great news this summer.
- Too many airplane and car rides. I loved the destination, but I think mama’s getting too old for this amount of travel in this short amount of time. Six plane rides, 2 road trips, 4 boat rides, and a whole lot of meltdowns in between. Not me. Her.
- I heard “I’m boooooored” a lot.
- I didn’t get one iota of work done. Not-a-one.
So as much as I miss the smallie and our amazing beach days together (I sound complain-y above, but once we got through the prep and clean up and after all is said and done, we had the time of our lives), I craved normalcy. I longed for routine. I missed predictability.
So now, we are both more than ready… to Get. To. Work. Back to school and back to work!
Little Mama chose her outfit which I was a little worried about being too long for her. She decided that her tribute to Mrs. Roper, was a wonderful reminder of our days on the beach. So instead of rushing into Fall wear, she wanted to bring a bit of the summer into her new year of grade school.
So I figured, why not join her? Just a couple casual girls in long cardis (hello, kimono!), denim, large brimmed hats for the sunny days, and our coordinating pink accessories (here’s a closer look at Little Mama‘s super fab Randoseru Satchel Bag, and Big Mama’s coordinating McKlein USA La Grange leather roller briefcase). I mean, if we’re going to get to work, we might as well… WERK IT.
It’s a big day, so a treat was in order – naturally, a strawberry yoghurt smoothie hits the spot. My apologizes in advance to Little Mama‘s Grade 1 teacher! After all, when you’re going back to school and back to work, isn’t a healthy boost of energy a good thing?
Exhausted from all the summer fun yes, but we’ve certainly been a little ansy for the most part to get “life started” once again. This is Little Mama when she’s ansy…
Ansy is usually followed by exhaustion. I mean, 60 days at the beach is terribly exhausting, you know…
Once the exhaustion settled in, Smallie had a sudden wave of the second wind, and a variety of emotions kicked in with coming back to school and back to work.
Generally speaking, pretty excited.
Relatively, zen. This is Little Mama ‘editating‘ (meditating).
In fact, when I was expressing to her how things will be a little different in Grade 1, her immediate reaction was, “I got this mama, I got this.”
One would say she was even a little chill about that whole thing.
And then… the sass came out. Grade 1, we’re ready for ya…
It’s been a whirlwind of a summer and we are more than ready to face the adventure awaiting us this back to school and back to work season.
Bring it on!
Happy first day/week/month of school! Let’s get those plans into place. Back to school and back to work.
The LOOK:: Want it? GET it!
We got this,
“Follow” us, and “Watch” our instastories on Instagram @SassAndSmalls
“Snap” us on Snapchat @babyStylista (Deb of Sass & Smalls)
“Catch” us on YouTube
“Like” us on Facebook
“Pin” us on Pinterest
“Tweet” us on Twitter
“Hangout” with us on Google+
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS.